Thursday, September 06, 2012

Twitterati : One Word

I have been writing posts on this blog for a while and most of my posts are dependent on my own experiences. I have never really tried doing fiction. This post is my first attempt at writing any form of fiction. I recognize that today we are in an age of online social media so I thought why not use some of these ideas to come up with fiction.

The format of this fiction is thus. I create a post with a bunch of imaginary tweets from characters in a story. The story itself would be loosely based (i.e. I have taken a lot of creative liberty to twist the tale) on some myth or legend. The obvious anachronism here is that twitter and mobile connectivity that backs the tweets were not present in the era of the original  story or myth.

Once up a time there was a young kid called @OneWord with a dream to become the greatest archer. He followed his dream to the famous city of Elephantville with an aim of enrolling himself as disciple of the great coach @CoachDrone

@OneWord
Yo Elephantville !!
@OneWord
Looking forward to meeting with @CoachDrone

Several hours later @OneWord finally met up with and was rejected as a pupil by @CoachDrone.

@CoachDrone
Love Elephantville sports academy policies. Rejected a poor sob from "The Jungle" ... bad lineage. Muhahaaha

@OneWord
Reservation sucks. Bloody elitists and nepotists of Elephantville.

@OneWord
On second thoughts @CoachDrone is certainly an inspiring figure. Just bought a life size statute of him from the merchandise shop. Can't wait to install it in my backyard.

A few years passed. @CoachDrone is now teaching the princes of Elephantville.

@CoachDrone
Wow.. a class full of princes... can't wait to look at my pay check.

@CoachDrone
These princes lack the concentration and skill to be great archers, except for @AreJune.
Will have to make do with what I have.

A few more years have passed. @AreJune is famed beyond Elephantville for his prowess as an archer. @CoachDrone is being considered the greatest coach ever. One dark moonless night they are camping in "The Jungle" after a long practice session. Every one hears the loud bark of a wild dog.

@CoachDrone
Eeesh! The dog ... Can't even enjoy a nice scotch in the quiet.

@AreJune
The Jungle sucks. Would have loved to boogie on the dance floor. Miss you Elephantville.
Damn .. hate that dog. Some body please shoot him.

All the twitterati hate the dog but no one is really interested in doing anything.

@OneWord
That dog's bark will destroy @CoachDrone's statue. Got to muzzle it.

A few minutes later everything goes quite. Everyone sleeps well. Next morning the princes find a dead dog with an arrow in its mouth. 

@AreJune
No pool of blood. Shot in pitch dark. Wow! what a marksman. . Damn @CoachDrone ... when will you teach me this.

@AreJune
Ohh crap!! I am no longer number one. @CoachDrone do something.

@CoachDrone
Wow! Shooting by the sound .. the Bat technique. Did not know proponents of this existed.
Oh crap! now @AreJune will start bothering me for this.

@OneWord
Last nights dog kill seems to have gathered quite a crowd. Should have cleaned up the mess last night.
Oh .. @CoachDrone is there in the crowd. Gotta thank him for inspiring me.

@CoachDone
Looks like that poor sob from "The Jungle" has learned archery after all... I have competition as a coach. That too in this jungle .... :(

@CoachDrone learns of @OneWord's practice schedule with his own statue as inspiration. @OneWord regards @CoachDrone as his coach. @CoachDrone is flattered at first but then realizes that someone has bettered his own pupils and that too without a real coach...

@CoachDrone
Ouch ! This is embarrassing. My own statue seems to be a better coach than the real me. Got to stop the word of this getting around.

@AreJune
Seems @CoachDrone isn't as know it all as we thought him to be.

@CoachDrone
My statute or me in person .. its the same thing. This is a copy right violation.  Screw you @OneWord. Time to pay up for using my name.

@CoachDrone demands @OneWord's right hand thumb as a fee for using his name and threatens a lawsuit in ElephantVille.

@CoachDrone
@OneWord is just a fraud. @AreJune is my best pupil.

@OneWord
Damn you ElephantVille copyright laws. Can't afford lawyers or lawsuit. Guess thumb was a lucky escape.

@AreJune
Yippie!! @CoachDrone rocks. I am number one again.

@OneWord
Ouch that missing thumb hurts. Thank god that touch mobiles can be used with just one finger.
Angry birds here I come.

Not much is known of @OneWord since. Occasional tweets about his prowess with Angry Birds are seen. Rumor has it that he is practicing archery with his remaining fingers and the left hand with a hope to participate in Elephantville games. Guess he does not know about the rampant nepotism there preventing  participation of outsiders. The Elephantville games itself are a matter of another story. No happy ending here but hopefully more stories to come. 

That's all for today's post. Hopefully I will have more creative epiphanies to do a bunch more posts in this series. Till then watch this space.

Finally acknowledgements and disclaimers.
- I would like to acknowledge that the idea of this series is inspired by a series posted a few years ago by blogger Crystal Blur. The content here though is 100% original.
- Disclaimer - All characters in this work are purely fictional and any resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincidental. Of course the story is loosely based on a mythological tale that I heard as a bed time story, so please do not read too much into it. It is certainly not accurate and I have taken some creative liberties with intent to poke some humor into the myth. Laugh if you feel like it or criticize if you don't like it but please leave comments.

2 comments:

  1. Good Work @Vishius. Enjoyed reading this funny take on Ekalavya story. Loved the "Bat technique" :)
    If you are going to base it on existing tale, maybe next time you can take more liberties to twist the entire plot/climax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Abhishek Enjoyed writing this one. Will try writing where my thoughts take me and sure enough if it i get interesting ideas I might even twist the entire plot

    ReplyDelete